Monday, March 7, 2011

1250 Tourney Preperation




So Chaos Darrell and I are going to be throwing our hats in the ring at the FLGS




This is a team tourney with individual FOCs. Darrell is running a Chaos Deamons list, primarily Khorne with a Slanesh prince and a couple of flamers for flavor. I will try to get a full list w/his blessing ASAP. I have decided to throw in with my Plague Marines. Our MO will be me dancing around the board like a ninny trying not to get killed while we wait for his heavy hitters to deepstrike in to do the deed.

At first my list looked like this

Typhus

3 Terminators in a possesed LR
- twin lightning claws
- powerfist
- reaper auto cannon
- Mark of Nurgle

7 Plague marines
- Champion w/power sword & melta bombs
- 2 meltas
- Rhino w/extra armor

7 Plague marines

- Champion w/power sword & melta bombs
- 2 meltas
- Rhino w/extra armor

1 Obliterator

While it may look impressive on paper this list wasnt really living up to my expectations. I just can't get those terminators to pay off. We have played Ice Station Lemon and Lantz from the The Magnet Pro several test games and each time they were either stopped well before they got where they needed to be or, if they did happen to get out, they couldn't deliver on bringing the pain. I think the main issue is that I am trying to make them a Jack of All Trades unit and they just dont have the manpower (or the physical models) to pull it off. I tried another list with a deamon prince and an extra Oblit that looked like this:

Deamon Prince
- Mark of Nurgle
- Doom Bolt
- Wings

3 Terminators in a possesed LR
- twin lightning claws
- powerfist
- reaper auto cannon
- Mark of Nurgle

7 Plague marines
- Champion w/power sword
- 2 meltas
- Rhino w/extra armor

7 Plague marines
- Champion w/power sword
- 2 meltas
- Rhino w/extra armor

2 Obliterators

While the additional mobility that is granted by the DP is very welcome I am still sinkning a TON of points into the Termie group and their transport ( who is named Banjo BTW) and not getting the performance out of them that I want. On top of that, we are having to hold back a unit of Plage marines to keep points secure. Blood thisters are very good assault troops but arent too hot at point holding. Especially since you have to deepstrike them in all the time.

Sooooo I have an army that is very good at staying alive and killing things but it's not great at holding points which is something that has become very important lately. On top of it there is the aforementioned bucket of points that isnt doing anything. This has drawn me to make the following list:

Deamon Prince

- Mark of Nurgle
- Nurgle's Rot
- Wings

7 Plague marines
- Champion w/power sword
- 2 meltas
- Rhino w/extra armor

7 Plague marines
- Champion w/power sword
- 2 meltas
- Rhino w/extra armor

8 Khorne Berzerkers
- Champion w/power sword & Plasma Pistol
- 2 Plasma Pistols
- Rhino w/extra armor

5 Standard Chaos Space Marines
- Champion w/power sword
- Plasma Gun

2 Obliterators


I think this will be a much more effective list. I've got 4 troops now instead of 2 including one that I can just dig in and leave on a point. Also, Berzerkers are much better suited to kill people rather than the group of terminators. I was running the Oblits in a group but I think I am going to split them out as well. I know thats giving my opponent more kill points but I think its worth it to make sure that I actually get Oblits on the table faster.

The real downside to all this is that, while I do have all of the models needed to run this list, I don't have all of them painted/based. There is going to be a soft score portion of this tourney as well and I would hate to be the reason that we didn't score high enough to place. Luckily I have about 2 months to get prepared. Here is a shot of a WiP Plague Marine:






As always, questions and comments are always welcome but keep in mind I am running with pretty much all of my available models up there so even if you do have a great suggestion I may not be able to impliment it.

Have a good one
GV


3 comments:

  1. I like the new changes. Just wish CSMs had a cheap Assault Transport option for the zerks...if I'm on your team again that is.

    To the dark witches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, but I think I can make due w/the rhino if I turn it sideways and get out the side door facing opposite my target the turn before.
    Also, I was thinking of losing the 2nd oblit so I could put a nurgle banner inside the plasma gun squad. I think that would make them very difficult to root out w/o a concentrated effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like me some oblits. A Nurgle banner is pretty nice for giving a unit some more survivability, but the Nurgle banner is pretty expensive to buy for a 5 man squad. Oblits are a good multipurpose unit. They can do anti-infantry, anti-vehicle, deep strike, and look menacing. Even if all they do is make your opponent reconsider an attack or waste a turn trying to kill them then they have done their job.

    ReplyDelete